I love to cook. I am always reading recipes and looking for my next favorite. Most of the time for our candlelight breakfast here at the Inn, I like to make small portions of different breakfast treats. These Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake Muffins are an exception. You can make them as regular size muffins, but they are best when you make them jumbo size. Usually my guests say, “Oh, those are so big! I’m just going to eat half of one.” But by the time breakfast is over, all that remains are a few crumbs. (If you do have any leftovers, I suggest you microwave them for about 10 seconds to give them that just-baked warmth.)
Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake Muffins
1½ cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
¼ stick margarine
1 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
½ cup sugar
½ cup milk
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup chocolate chips
2 tblsp. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1. Spray 6 jumbo muffin cups (or 12 regular muffin cups) with nonstick vegetable oil spray.
2. In a mixing bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Cut in the margarine until crumbly.
3. In another bowl, mix the sour cream (or yogurt), ½ cup sugar, milk, and egg. Add to the flour mixture and stir just until combined.
4. In another bowl, stir together the topping ingredients.
5. Spoon half the batter into the prepared muffin pans. Sprinkle with half the topping. Top with remaining batter and then remaining topping.
Bake at 350° for 25 min. or until a toothpick comes out clean. (If making 12 regular-size muffins, bake at 400° for 15–18 min.)
I hope you love these muffins as much as I do!